Fire safety checklist
To be really sure you can sleep easy, do a fire check every night:
- are all kitchen appliances turned off?
- are all heaters turned off and one metre away from anything that could burn?
- are there any stray cigarette butts and have ashtrays been emptied into a metal bin outside?
- is the television switched off at the power switch on the set – and not on the remote control’s ‘standby’?
- are any candles still burning?
- is the kitchen and living room doors closed to slow a fire from spreading to bedrooms?
- is the house secure with keys in deadlocks?
- are the passageways clear for a quick escape?
- have you turned off all electric blankets before getting into bed?