Whanganui Regional Health Network - Nutrition
The community dietitian offers a free service by referral for children and adults to improve nutrition. Referrals can be made via a GP or practice nurse or other primary health providers.
We accept referrals from GPs, any health professional, schools or community health workers.
Examples of referrals:
- Type 2 diabetes – newly diagnosed or refresher when HbA1c is too high
- Obesity or weight management for adults and children
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Generally poor eating habits
- Other dietary issues, where secondary services are not involved.
- Working with patients on everyday things that make a difference to healthy eating, such as the food brought, how it’s cooked and the amount of food on the plate
- Helping people determine what they should change and how to do it
- With permission, working with others (e.g. family and health professionals) who can help with changes
- Getting patients the information needed for them to make changes
- Providing group education sessions.